As you know, one of the biggest habits of highly successful people is journaling! Writing in a journal is a great way learn about yourself: you can lay out your plans, see what exercises and activities work for you, form a habit, empty your mind, vent your frustrations, become more creative, and more!
But what do you write in a journal? Staring at a blank page (or book of pages) can be daunting, and frankly, overwhelming. Use these Journal Prompts to dive in, get started and watch the magic of journaling unfold!!
77 Journal Prompts to Help You Start Journaling Today
Journal Prompts for Self Discovery & Personal Growth
- What do I want more of in my life?
- What are your top 3 – 5 long-term, life goals?
- What is your biggest achievement in life so far?
- My biggest desire is…?
- My biggest fear is…?
- If I wasn’t afraid of anything, I would…
- The 3 things I find most annoying (pet peeves) are
- 5 Things I cannot go a day without are..
- The biggest disappointment in my life was…
- The most fun experience of my life was… because…
- How do you indulge?
- My biggest failure in life was…
- What is really holding me back?
- In what ways do you try to improve your life DAILY?
- What do you REALLY want to say to your: boss, coworker, friend, spouse, etc?
- Who is my BEST best friend? Why?
- My saddest memory is…
- If the hours and money worked out perfectly, what job would you take without thinking? What would your days look like?
- Something that makes me outrageously angry is..
- The dominant emotion in my life is currently…
- I want the dominant emotion in my life to be…
- If I woke up tomorrow and chose to be happy – no matter what- what would my day look like?
- If I woke up tomorrow and every single thing went my way – what would my day look like?
- What does my ideal life look like in 5 years?
Journal Prompts for Gratitude
- 5 People I am thankful for having in my life are..
- 3 Wonderful things that happened today are..
- I know ___(a person)___ who needs ___(a thing/service/feeling), and I am lucky because I have that and ____(a thing /service / feeling you have)
- I am thankful that I don’t have to. . .
- Today, ____ didn’t go my way. But I’m not upset because it’s a learning experience. Now I know____
- My job allows me the opportunity to…
- The people around me enrich my life by…
- My favorite memory with my family is…
- The best tradition I keep alive is…
- When I was little, my mom and I …
- When I was little, my dad and I…
- When I was little, my sibling(s) and I…
- When I was little, my grandparents and I…
- I love re-reading the book ____, because it makes me feel…
- I am an awesome friend because…
- 3 things that make me unique are…
- My favorite song / album / artist / playlist is _____, because it makes me feel…
Feeling bummed about quarantine, covid, germs, and being stuck at home? Check out these 55 Quarantine Journal Prompts! They’re sure to help you out!
Journal Prompts for Creativity
- If I had all the supplies I needed (endless!) I would create . . .
- If money was no object, what would I achieve…?
- The New York Met just offered you your own art gallery!! What artwork (of yours) would you fill the halls with?
- My 5 favorite foods are…. If I had to make a recipe using them all, the meal would be…
- What do you enjoy doing when you procrastinate? What would your daily life look like if you made that your career?
- Plan a dream wedding or dream party with all of your favorite people from your life, your past, and history! What does it look like? What happens? What’s the music like?
- You just landed your dream job, congrats! What does a normal day look like for you?
Journal Prompts to Relieve Anxiety & Stress
- Write a letter to your future self
- Write a letter to your 13 year old self
- What do you need to do today to get to tomorrow? (Don’t worry about anything past tomorrow)
- Where will you be in 10 years, ideally? Put yourself in your shoes (10 years from now), and write your current self (today) a letter. What advice does wise, successful you have for stressed out you today?
- Make a bucket list – what things do you want to do?
- Write a travel bucket list – what places do you need to see?
- Write a letter to your pet
- What are you so angry about? Vent here.
Journal Prompts for Creative Writing
- Harry Potter and the: _____: And outline the basic plot
- ___(Your Favorite Movie)___ #2: Revenge of the____: and outline the basic plot
- Write a letter to your favorite fictional character
- If you could have dinner with anyone in history (alive or dead), who would it be? What would you discuss? What would they say?
- You fly into outer space and find alien life forms.. they invite you to their planet. What happens next?
- You get to wipe out all societal norms and replace them with your own. What does society look like? What do people wear, say, do, feel, think, see?
- A genie grants you 3 wishes, what do you wish for? (no wishing for more wishes!) Why do you choose those?
- Your pet is now the hero in an action movie. What’s the plot?
- You’re on Top Chef – what do you cook?
- Describe the plot, or one episode of a sitcom about your family or friend group.
- You actually became the thing ‘you want to be when you grow up’ – what is your job? What does a normal day look like for you?
Journal Prompts for Kids
- Write a letter to you “from” your pet
- Write a letter to your hero
- If you had a superpower, what would it be?
- What would your superhero name be? What would your outfit look like?
- What superhero activities would you do every day?
- If you got to meet anyone in the world, who would it be, and what would you talk about with them?
- A genie grants you 3 wishes, what are your wishes, and why?
- You get to start a new civilization on a new planet. What does it look like, smell like, taste like? What do the people say, do, think, and wear?
- What did you do today? Include all the details: what you wore, ate, saw, said, did, and thought.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? What will a normal day be like for you?
Before you start, you’ll want a quality journal to keep your self-discoveries, creative stories, and track your personal growth (or keep your frustrations a secret). These are journal supplies that will help you stay on track!
This post may contain affiliate links for various companies. Specifically, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click through a link and make a purchase, Organized Mind + Life may receive a few pennies at no additional cost to you. 🙂
Check out these three journals. Each has sturdy, ruled pages for your writing pleasure!
And you can’t forget the ever-important journal pens!! The only thing more cathartic than emptying your innermost feelings onto a blank page, is doing it with a freely flowing pen that seems to be an extension of your hand.
I LOVE a good pen. Seriously.
You will too! Check out these three types of pens for journaling. There are colorful options, plain black ink options, and other varieties as well. (Option 3 is my personal favorite)
What will you write about today?
Leave a comment and let me know -OR, add your favorite journal prompt and help another writer out!